Thursday, March 15, 2012

Makeover your pantry:

I don't know about you but as soon as I had kids I started worrying more about making sure veggies were in our dinner...then I had a picky kid who does not eat any veggies unless I literally shove them into his mouth. So how else can I make him eat somewhat healthier? Cut out processed foods. And there is so much around these days. So here are my suggestions for cutting out as much processed foods as you can. Throughtout this series I will show you some premade mixes, veggies recipes, how to incorporate veggies, what food items you should look for and my favorite part-organizing that darn pantry and fridge!

1. Find recipe for things you can make homemade (pinterest would be very useful for this but I will also post links to some recipes in this post).

2. Make a list of things that would be cheaper and/or easy to make homemade.

3. Make a list of items you just can not give up either because you love the taste or the convenience or the price. Try to make it a must have list. For me it is Kraft Mac n Cheese (favorite since I was a kid), cereals of any kind and any snack I have yet to find how to bake such as saltine crackers.

4. Choose a meal a day to not serve any processed foods during. I do both breakfast and dinner (lunch is whatever and cereal is okay).
For breakfast you would make homemade pancake mix which you can find a premade one here on the next post as well as other breakfast faves.


DINNER MAKEOVER
For dinner here is some links to common starchy sides you may make and how to make them outside of the box or bag. Breakfast will come next post as it will contain a lot.



Scalloped Potatoes



                                                              Roasted Potatoes  

Fried Rice


Spanish Rice 


                                                 Pasta with Parm, Garlic and Olive Oil



Premade Cornbread Mix




Homemade French Fries


Hope you found some wonderful ideas and hope you have a blessed day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com